Mary and Martha


 “As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, ‘Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!’ ‘Martha, Martha,’ the Lord answered, ‘you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed – or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.’”

‭‭Luke‬ ‭10:38-42‬ ‭NIVUK‬‬

I’ve often read this and found it felt condemnatory- Mary had done the right thing and she gets to sit there and take her time listening to Jesus, and Martha gets to run around like a headless chicken. I always imagined after this conversation that Mary stayed where she was, and Martha continued to serve. 

But I wonder if it really happened that way. Maybe Martha put down the jug and the plate. Maybe she asked Mary to budge up and joined her there. And maybe later someone came over looking for something to eat or drink, and they were told to go and make themselves a sandwich. I think Jesus is saying here that Mary doesn’t need to do what women were supposed to do then, working to prepare food while the men talked, she could sit and listen. If Mary could sit and listen, then Martha could also choose what is better and join her. If the disciples wanted something, they could get it for themselves. 

I find this profoundly affirming that Jesus says that Mary has chosen the better thing, because for me and for all my sisters, this is possible for us to take part into the kingdom of God, to join in without being restricted. 

This next verse is not what Paul is quite talking about, but it expresses the truth of what is most important.

“For the kingdom of God does not consist of food and drink, but righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit.”

Romans‬ ‭14:17‬ ‭NET‬‬

At some points Jesus cared very much about feeding hungry people, and did so, but I would guess here there was plenty to eat. Here he was caring about Mary and Martha’s heart and soul. 

Comments