Come all you vagabonds...

I found chapter 6 of Dane Ortlund's book Gentle and Lowly really helpful when writing this post.

'All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.' John 6:37.

I am maybe stretching the text here, but it feels here that the second part of the sentence is a free pass. Jesus says that 'whoever' comes will never be driven away. No matter what, Jesus has promised and therefore we are allowed to come.

No matter what we bring with us, no matter how we feel that we don't bring what we should, he will never drive us away, or in another version, 'no wise cast out' (KJV).

I often have a feeling of obligation - I feel that there are things I should be, things I should say, things I should do. I feel a weight of expectation. And I'm quite sure that I can't meet those expectations and obligations. 

Sometimes I feel that new Christians have an easy ride - their sins are forgiven, and they are new and clean, ready to start their new life. But what about us old hands, who have realised that we've been around the block and we are still the same? I sometimes feel that my faith hasn't 'taken' - like a dyed garment with sections still the old colour. I should have changed, but I have not. I know my own failure to change. I hear of 'the transforming power of the gospel' and wonder why it is that this doesn't seem to have an effect on my life. I feel like giving up. At least non-Christians don't have to carry these burdens.

And so I return to that verse again - Jesus says that 'whoever' comes will not be rejected. So I'm going to come, bringing all the failure, even when I feel that I can't and won't change in the future. Even when I feel that I don't and won't do what's expected. I'm going to come anyway.

I'm reminded of this song by Stuart Towned, 'Come all you vagabonds'. There are many descriptions in the verses that I identify with - there aren't many that don't apply! And the answer to all of these is:


Come to the feast,
There is room at the table.
Come let us meet in this place.
With the King of all kindness
Who welcomes us in,
With the wonder of love,
And the power of grace.






Comments